St Joseph's College Lucan

School History

09-August-16

Situated in a suburb of Dublin, at the summit of the hill in Lucan Village, St Joseph’s College welcomes girls from Lucan, Palmerstown, Ballyfermot, Clondalkin and parts of Kildare. It is the only all girls school in the area, which has 4 other post primary schools.

It was in 1867 that a generous and wealthy local Catholic man, by the name of Mr Quigley donated 2 acres of land, adjoining the parish church, to enable the first Presentation Sisters to begin the Lucan foundation.

Once they had established a primary school in the area, the sisters undertook the task of providing second level education for girls. The Presentation Convent Secondary School was established as a “Secondary Top” in 1955. From that humble beginning enrolment increased annually and the first Leaving Certificate examinations took place in 1961. The school became a full secondary school in 1966 and 2 years later it was named St Joseph’s Secondary School after its founder and first Principal Sr. Joseph.

To measure the lasting influence of Mr Quigley and those first Sisters on past and present generations is an impossibility. However, suffice it to say, that in due course, their combined efforts developed into an impressive centre of Catholic life and education.

Since then, the school has thrived within the national context of a changing social, cultural and religious landscape and it has approximately 70 teachers and almost 900 students.

We are hopeful of having a new state of the art school building in the near future. We look forward to this exciting chapter in our history and will commit ourselves to an education which uplifts everyone and multiplies Christian leadership at influential levels in Irish society.

Enquire
Contact
Lucan Road
Lucan
Co. Dublin
K78 VW74
Ireland


+353 1 628 1160


Ceist- Catholic Education, an Irish schools trust
Location
© 2017 St Joseph's College Lucan